Sunday, October 17, 2004

Ren & Stimpy UNCUT?! Not quite...

I wanted to mention something that's come up on the great http://www.cartoonbrew.com and also on a few message boards... the Ren & Stimpy DVD box set is NOT completely unedited.

Here's what I have figured out from the edits themselves and from this letter from John K....

Apparently, back when Nickelodeon was editing these episodes down, very late into their hacking spree they edited the episodes one last time... not for content, but for time. Apparently these cuts were there when the episodes were delivered to Spike/Paramount/whoever, and went through unnoticed.

I heard there's a list of the edits somewhere, but I've watched all but 4 of the episodes on the DVD and so far have only noticed the "bloody head fairy" gag from "Haunted House" missing, and the hugging gag from the "Big Baby Scam" episode.

What's kind of ironic is that I own most of the old VHS tapes Nickelodeon released, and was planning on selling them or something once I got this set... but the tapes have "Big Baby Scam" with that scene intact, but not with the bath-tub scene which made it onto the DVD. Puzzling, to say the least.

Does this mean you shouldn't purchase the collection? Heck no! The commentary is really great, the overall quality is nice, the presentation is wonderful, and the VAST majority of the shorts are completely intact. Plus, if you do the Best Buy deal I mentioned in my last post, you'll be getting 34 cartoons for only $27! Less than a buck a cartoon is a great deal, in my opinion.

   - posted by Tyler Sticka @

Post a Comment    Back To Main


That's not all, folks! Browse the archives:

Free Counters
Smith & Noble